Rantings On A Rough Day

I have a reactive airway.  It isn’t asthma, but it is related.  Most days I’m fine.  Couple of puffs on the ol’ inhaler and I’m good in short order.  On four occasions, I’ve had a severe attack (one of which was prior to diagnosis).  Two of those attacks occurred between yesterday and today.  Yesterday’s left me dizzy.  I had to leave work early.  I should’ve today, but I wasn’t dizzy so I stubbornly powered through.  I felt like I was breathing through a straw.

The flat-top grill at work has been broken, so I’ve had to sacrifice space on the DSG to grill the chicken.  The end result is I have to do twice as many burger/chicken drops to produce the same amount of product.  Add that increase in physical activity to an airway issue and it makes the whole thing worse.  Today the flat-top was fixed, only to have the oven break.  Now that space on the DSG was used for bacon.  I normally drop four pans a round.  Now I could only do one at a time.

The airway attacks left me physically exhausted.  I’d get home, sit down on the couch to remove my boots, and pass out.  My boots were still on and tied when I woke up 2-3 hours later.

On the paper route, it rained cats and dogs.  And my umbrella went missing.

My son has been waking up in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat and screaming like a banshee.  This has added to my lack of sleep.  The doctor said that there is no ear infection, and we are monitoring his temperature.

My car’s engine is on it’s last legs.  I need it for the paper route.  Now my wife and I have to ax a lot of things we were going to take care of just to save for either a new (to us) engine or car.

The pain, numbness, and tingling in my hands that has interfered with my drawing has been diagnosed as bilateral carpal tunnel.  I’ll be seeing a specialist.

Tomorrow, I get up at 2 am to run my paper route.  The route carries a 6:30 am deadline.  I work 7 am to 3 pm.  Then I attend an open house for my oldest daughter’s school from 4:15 pm to 7 pm.  I go back to bed at 8 pm.  Tomorrow is a wash.

I work two jobs totaling over 70 hours a week, and still we are in the in-laws house and on food stamps.

I look back on my childhood and wonder…

…Why was I in such a hurry to grow up?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s